Electromyography (EMG) and Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) Testing
Have you sustained an injury or are you living with a chronic disease causing continual nerve or muscle pain?
Are you bothered or debilitated by nerve damage symptoms such as numbness, tingling, muscle weakness or shooting pain?
Our office specializes in the testing and diagnosis of muscle and nerve damage. Electromyography (EMG) and Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) testing is performed right here at our pain management healthcare practice located in Rutherford.
Testing is performed exclusively by a specially-trained pain management physician (MD) and results are available immediately.
EMG and NCV testing detects neuromuscular disorders:
- EMG measures the electrical activity of muscles;
- NCV measures the speed and intensity of electrical signals that travel through nerves and the time it takes muscles to respond to these signals.
- Muscles which have been damaged emit unique electrical signals. This test allows the physician to diagnose the specific location of the damaged nerve and ascertain the extent of the injury.
These tests function as important diagnostic tools and provide vital information about the health of your nerves and muscles. They can detect the cause of such problems as muscle weakness, numbness, spasms, paralysis or pain.
They also determine if the problem involves the nerves, muscles, spinal cord or brain.
What kind of muscle or nerve injury is this testing commonly recommended for?
- Pinched nerve in the neck or back after an injury
- Disc problems
- Compressed nerves in the wrist (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
- Neuropathies such as numbness in the hands and feet
- Diabetic neuropathy (Diabetes).
What do I need to do in order to secure an appointment to have the EMG and NCV test performed?
Light energy enters the damaged cells and stimulates inter-cellular activity. This reduces pain in the area and speeds recovery of the damaged cells. Once the cells recover, the healing process is complete.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING A COLD LASER TREATMENT?
Laser Therapy is a painless treatment that usually lasts several minutes. Patients may experience a comfortable sensation at the point of application.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER THE TREATMENT?
Just call our office to set up an appointment for this test which will be performed by our pain management physician specialist.
Once this test is complete, what happens next?
Test results are immediate. After careful review and analysis of your neurologic test results, we will discuss a recommended course of treatment/s that will eliminate the nerve interference and lessen or eliminate your nerve pain as quickly as possible.